Another excellent book by Tali Carmi that just came out this month! Buy it HERE on Amazon.
This time, Abigail is off to a Tropical Island, like so many of with we could do in the winter. It’s a cold day, and she cannot play outside so she begins to day dream of different places in the world that are always warm. She lands under a coconut tree and moves away quickly as she is afraid that one will land on her head.
Abigail meet Lelei who is listening to the ocean through a huge shell, which we learn absorbs the sounds around it, thus you an hear the ocean inside the shell. Maru, a professional pearl diver is also introduced in this story, and she learns that pearls come from oysters, in addition that a star fish is not really a fish. It is also Lelei’s birthday, and they are planning a huge party, but there is just one problem, there is no power. How will Abigail fix this so her guests will not be in the dark.
I think this book could be an awesome conversation starter with a class or your child at home. This book is packed full of interesting facts and things to ponder. Questions to discuss could include:
- If coconuts fall often from trees, was Abigail really in danger
- If a coconut does fall, and no one is around, does it make a sound :p
- If you are at home/school, can you still hear the ocean in a conch shell. Have one if possible to check!
- Do you think being a professional pearl diver would be a good job. Discuss any pros (playing in the water all day, lots of sun) and cons (holding your breath or getting wrinkly skin)
- If you could do any job in the world, what would you like to do
- What the heck is a archipelago!? Use the picture to help.
- Its a bunch of islands by the way on a sea or stretch of water
I was sent this ebook free of charge in exchange for an honest review